'Pulled Pork' Bahn Mi



Before going vegan, my favourite food was pulled pork and pork belly. If I ever saw it on a menu at a restaurant, I would always order it. I never took the time to cook it at home because I knew how bad it was for you, so it was always a treat for me. I decided to make a vegan version out of jackfruit. This took a bit longer than I expected, but you don't have to do much while its cooking, except add in water when It has been all soaked up. To make the real pulled pork it takes hours upon hours so this is actually a very quick, VERY CHEAP version. To make this the jackfruit it cost me $1.70, which is insane! and this would feed around 2 people. My boyfriend, who is a pork lover, approved of this as well! yay!



Recipe -


Ingredients -

1 tin of jackfruit (not in syrup that is the sweet stuff and we want it to be savoury)
1 Tbsp garlic powder 
1 crispy baguette 
juice of half a lemon
1/2 cup hoisin sauce 


Bahn Mi salad -

1 cup red cabbage 
1 shredded carrot 
1/3 red onion thinly sliced
handful of coriander 
2 tsp sesame oil 
1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar 
1 Tbsp soy sauce
sprinkle of black sesame seeds


Method :

Drain jackfruit and cook in saucepan on medium heat adding 1.5cup of water to begin with. Add garlic powder and cover for about 30 mins. You must check the jackfruit every 5mins to check if water as been absorbed, keep adding water so it does not stick the pan. In the end I added around 4-6cups of water but this will depend on what brand of jackfruit you use and what you are cooking it in/ the heat. You want to achieve a ‘pulled pork’ texture so adding moisture and heat over a period of 30 mins will ensure this. 
After 30 mins check jackfruit, and take off heat. All the water should be absorbed and the jackfruit should be tender. 
Mash the jackfruit until it resembles pulled pork. 
Add in 1/2 cup hoisin sauce and the lemon. Mix through and place back on heat for a few more minutes to ensure it is fully heated through. 


During the cooking process, looks so much like meat!



For the Bahn Mi salad, Add all the ingredients into a bowl, mix and set aside.







Cut the baguette in half, and place in oven 200degrees for about 10 mins or until golden and crisp.









Assemble the salad on the bottom of the crisp baguette with a squeeze of lemon and then the jackfruit on top. 
This is super tasty and tastes like the real thing but is 1000000 times healthier.






Here is my youtube video where I show you how to make it! I also make loaded Texas fries with some pulls pork so make sure you watch. 









Comments

Popular Posts