Satay tofu vermicelli salad


This has been my favourite dinner recipe at the moment. As I have said before, I go through phases of what I like to make myself for dinner, they are always healthy, quick and full of veggies. This meal takes about 15mins to prepare. I have made a video on this recipe and my 'Avocado peas pesto pasta' as part of my 'cheap eats' series. I made both meals for under $4.00 per serving! And that is NZ prices (so so expensive for fresh produce here), if you live somewhere else such as the UK, this would be even cheaper to make! Making cheap meals is important because in todays society food is becoming much more expensive. BUT.... you do not need to skimp on taste or health when making cheap meals! Enjoy!



Recipe - This recipe serves two people ( with big appetites)
Tips -  If you wanted to cut costs even more... I suggest substituting the tomatoes and cucumber with vegetables that are on special at your local supermarket or are in season. Such as; carrots, courgettes etc. Also if lettuce is too expensive where you live, you can easily just buy more noodles to make up for it (they are so cheap, 99cents for about 3/4 servings ) or buy some frozen peas or veg, to bulk it up. You can really do what you want!!!

Ingredients :

250g block of firm tofu
... g vermicelli noodles (one whole pack made two meals for me, but could easily make three)
2 cups lettuce 
handful of cherry tomatoes (halved)
1 cup chopped cumber
1/4 red onion, chopped/sliced
2tsp soy sauce (salt reduced)

Soak vermicelli noddles in hot water in a bowl. Let them sit for about 5mins, then drain and gently press some of the water out in the colander (makes them less watery when it comes to plating up time). 
Chop up tofu into small cubes and place on a lined baking tray. Pour over soy sauce and gently toss tofu so it is all covered. Place in preheated oven, 200degrees, for about 15-20mins. 



Satay sauce :

2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter (make sure its all natural, you don't need any of those yucky preservatives or additives, it is a bit more expensive to buy, but its worth it! Otherwise, if you can be bothered, you can buy raw peanuts and blend them up until they form a paste)
1 tbsp soy sauce (salt reduced variety)
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp sweet chilli sauce
2 tbsp hot water

Place all ingredients for the satay sauce together in a small bowl. Gently whisk until ingredients are well combined. 

Arrange lettuce and noodles on a plate. Top with cooked tofu, tomatoes, cucumber and onion. Drizzle over satay sauce and enjoy! I also topped mine with some sriracha for some extra spice. 


                                



Check out my youtube video where I make this! 




Comments

Popular Posts