caramel slice






I attempted to make this caramel slice on my youtube. It is a mix between cooked and raw. There are SO MANY recipes for raw caramel slices. I just wanted to change it a bit and make it more like a traditional caramel slice, instead of something that is so typically vegan (don't get me wrong some of those raw slices are delish, but you can still cook your baking when making it vegan!) . When I was younger, I would always get my mum to make me caramel slice and it was cooked in the oven. So I kind of wanted to recreate this, but put my own twist on it and of course made it vegan! It didn't turn out perfect first time round but I have now got the tweaked the recipe to make it better so enjoy!


Recipe :

Ingredients -

Base -

1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (make sure it's the real stuff... not imitation )
2 cups plain flour


Caramel layer -

1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Chocolate layer -

1 cup vegan chocolate chips

Toppings -

Vegan chocolate chips
Rice bubbles


For the base, beat coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla with an electric beater until fully combined and pale, takes about 5mins on high speed. Add in the flour, one cup at a time, stirring in-between each cup. Once all mixed, press into a lined baking tray of your choice. I spread out the mixture so it was about .5cm thick.
Cook this in a 180degree oven for about 10-15mins or until golden. Once cooked, remove from oven and set aside to cool for around 10mins mininmum.

For the caramel layer. Place all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk constantly until coconut oil is melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and cool for about 10 mins.

Poor caramel over the top of the base layer. Place in fridge for around 45mins or if you want it to be done quicker, place in freezer for 20mins (good speedy trick, but you must not let it freeze completely).

Just before you take slice out of fridge/freezer, melt some vegan chocolate chips (or vegan chocolate), I did this in the microwave just 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, you can add in some coconut oil if your chocolate becomes too sticky and clumpy, but the one I used had a high fat content so they were ok.  Drizzle melted chocolate over the top. Then add the toppings, make sure to press the chocolate chips and the rice bubbles into the mixture so that they get stuck down and return to fridge/freezer/ for an additional 20/30mins.

Cut into squares or bars and enjoy!!!
I have linked my Youtube video below of me making them (first time round)





Comments

Popular Posts