Crispy chicken free chicken tacos




CRISPY CHICKEN FREE CHICKEN TACOS. I was so so excited to try out this product! A company called "Sunfed meats" brought out their first product and it was this chicken free chicken. It is made from pea protein and contains only 6.1grams of fat per serve. I never buy fake meat, because it is usually so high in fat, and also doesn't taste like real chicken.. more like chicken nuggets. But this one does! I think it is the texture that makes it so 'real'.
When I first got my hands on the chicken, I fried it in bbq sauce and put it on top of my pizza (was amazing, will probably do a video of that soon), but today I decided to make crispy chicken tacos! Before I went vegan, I would make this dish at least once a week and I loved it.. so it was a good little throw back.
I crumbed the chicken in panko crumbs and fried them in a pan, and they came out so crisp, golden and perfect.
I served them in a corn taco with a fresh black bean and cherry tomato salad and of course.. guacamole.
My sister and I ate about 6 each, they were that good.
I highly recommend that if you live in New Zealand you check this product out (if you can get your hands on them). So excited for this company has launched, and had so much success. I have linked my youtube video below! Enjoy

Here is Sunfed meats website and Facebook page :

https://sunfedfoods.com
https://www.facebook.com/sunfedmeats/


Recipe :

Ingredients -

Bean salad :

2 x tins Black beans
Half a red onion
250grams cherry tomatoes
Handful of coriander
2 garlic cloves
Half a red chilli
Juice of 2 lemons
Salt and pepper to season

Chop red onion finely and cut cherry tomatoes in half. Drain and rinse black beans in a colander. Add the three ingredients into a large serving bowl and tear the coriander over the top. In a seperate bowl, crush the garlic and finely chop the red chilli, add the lemon juice and mix. Pour the lemon/garlic/chilli mix over the bean salad and mix in gently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.


Crispy chicken :

250grams surfed chicken free chicken
1 cup of plain flour
1 1/2 cups of water
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
2 cups panko crumbs (about 1/2 - 3/4 of a packet)
1/3 rice bran oil (or any cooking oil you have)
Salt to season

Mix the flour, salt, garlic and onion powder in a bowl. Add the water in small amounts, stirring and making sure there are no lumps. This should form a 'pancake batter' consistency.

In a seperate bowl add the panko crumbs.

Dip the pieces of chicken in the flour mix, shake off excess batter and then place in the panko crumbs. Press each side firmly into the crumbs to make sure it is fully coated.

In a medium fry pan, add the cooking oil (I used rice bran) and heat on a medium/high element. When oil has heated for about 5mins, add in coated chicken pieces.
Fry for 3mins per side, or until golden brown. You don't have to worry about the chicken being 'cooked through' because the pea protein is essentially already cooked, you just want the crumbing to get crisp and golden and for the 'meat' to be heated through!

Cut the chicken into long strips and place in a corn tortilla or wrap of your choice! Add the bean salad and some guacamole, and drizzle over some BBQ or chipotle sauce!! This is a real crowd pleaser, but save some extra for yourself because trust me... you will want all you can get.





YOUTUBE VIDEO :)


Comments

  1. Awesome idea to use panko crumbs! We used the crispy chicken free chicken in wraps for dinner and they were a HUGE hit with kids and adults. Yum! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts